Site Safety & Health Officer
585.506.2997 (cell) email@example.com
Industrial Hygienist / Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Accomplished Environmental Compliance, Health and Safety professional with more than ten years of success in improving health and safety procedures in busy, complex workplaces. Reduce or eliminate injuries and environmental hazards, train employees in occupational safety, and increase workers’ comfort. Institute effective health and safety policies while ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Areas of Expertise
CERTIFIED SAFETY INSPECTION SPECIALIST 2015 - 2016
windjammer environmental incorporated (safety & occupational hygiene)
Assigned to: U.S. Architect of the Capitol
Reviewed air samples results from the government Coal fired power plant for the Capitol for EPA compliance.
Provided safety and occupational hygiene inspections compliances for OSHA, NIOSH, and CDC to U.S. Architect of the Capitol at all Senate and Congressional Office Buildings, and the main Capitol Building and all related buildings in Metropolitan Washington, DC. Focus of hygiene inspection includes:
- Source Evaluations
- Job hazard analysis (JHA)
- Qualitative Exposure Assessments (QEA)
- Sampling & Analysis Plans
- Chemical and Physical Sampling Programs
- Routine Monitoring
- Emergency Sampling
- OSHA Compliance Monitoring
- PPE Assessments
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALIST 2010 - 2015
ManTech Security & Mission Assurance (IT & technical services),
Assigned to: Executive Office for United States Attorneys (liaison between national & state offices)
- Supplied technical and administrative direction for occupational health, safety, and environmental improvement efforts in the national office and 94 districts throughout the fifty states and territories.
- Focused on increasing workers’ safety, efficiency, and comfort.
- Collaborated in determining and enforcing strategic plans, priorities, policies, and procedures.
- Reduced and controlled risks of injuries for employees.
- Sampled power plant air emissions and reviewed sample results by third party environmental laboratories for management.
- Assessed and reduced physical, biological, chemical, and environmental hazards in the workplace.
- Conducted inspections and audits, ensuring compliance with the full range of federal, state, and local regulations and codes.
- Served as subject matter expert for such occupational hygiene concerns as mold mitigation, indoor air quality, particulate analysis, workplace ergonomics, medical surveillance, and epidemiology.
- Provided expert analyses on OSHA 29 CFR 1910, 29 CFR 1960, 29 CFR 1926, EPA
(CERCLA, RCRA, CAA, CWA, etc.), DOT, CDC/NIOSH, NIH, ACGIH, NIOH, NFPA, and
ASHRAE standards, regulations, and guidelines.
- Analyzed problems with implementation. Recommended changes in goals and policies. Formulated corrective action plans. Resolved complex implementation and partnership issues.
- Improved the design of workstations, equipment, and tasks.
- Integrated the findings of external occupational hygiene reports into organizational policies.
- Provided guidance to district occupational health and safety coordinators.
- Wrote and managed training programs. Conducted safety regulation analyses.
- Served as collateral emergency management officer, responding to emergencies like fires.
- Helped to process workers’ compensation claims.
- Achieved a safety inspection and reporting rate of 96 percent.
- Reduced the time required for site inspections by 32 percent in one year.
- Was awarded a certificate of excellence by the Executive Office for United States Attorneys.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALIST / CHEMICAL HYGIENIST LEAD 2008 - 2010
ITT Corporation Geospatial Systems (night vision, remote sensing navigation solutions), Rochester, NY
- Served as both the subject matter expert about safety and the co-director of chemical hygiene.
- Managed the hazardous communication and process safety management programs.
- Designed more than 24 safety trainings. Educated 625 employees and contractors about safety procedures. Trained engineers and technicians about radiation hazards.
- Developed a hazard/risk analysis matrix, reviewed construction and renovation plans to minimize risks, and recommended corrective action plans.
- Performed occupational hygiene quality assurance. Approved chemical purchases and use.
- Provided technical assistance to executives. Represented the corporation in compliance meetings with federal, state, and local regulators.
- Helped to negotiate with regulators, contractors, and other stakeholders about safety and environmental issues.
- Managed all environmental, health, and safety compliance for a $15 million construction project.
- The company recorded no incidents or accidents over two years.
- Co-managed the ISO 14001 and OSHA VPP Certifications.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY SPECIALIST / PROCESS SAFETY ENGINEER 2005 -2008
Bausch & Lomb Optics & Health Care (contact lens, lens care products) Rochester, NY
- Served as safety lead in process engineering laboratories and manufacturing sections.
- Managed regulatory recertification and revised safety procedures.
- Identified and mitigated risks to employees and the environment.
- The firm received no reports of injuries during my tenure.
- Successfully managed the OHSAS 18001 recertification.
SENIOR SAFETY & ENGINEERING SPECIALIST 2003 - 2005
Quality Vision International (video measurement technology), Rochester, NY
- Developed guidelines for emission control management and compliance.
- Managed incident and accident reporting
- Reduced emission of volatile organic compounds in the workplace by 30 percent.
SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER & SAFETY SPECIALIST / LEAD SYSTEMS INTEGRATION 1996 - 2003 & SAFETY ENGINEER
Xerox Corporation (document technology & business services), Webster, NY
- Enforced federal, state, and local safety regulations and fire codes in the systems integration plant.
- Assisted in negotiating with unions about safety and environmental issues.
- Led safety audits in the print cartridge laboratory and on the manufacturing floor.
- The site recorded no injuries in 2002 – 2003.
- Managed the OHSAS 18001 certification.
Education, Certifications, & Computer Skills
Master of Science, Environmental Health & Safety Management, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
Bachelor of Science, Physics, Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry & Biology, State University of New York at Brockport, Brockport, NY
OSHA 30-Hour Construction Training
Certifications: Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
Proficient with Microsoft Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP, Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, & Word), & Internet Explorer
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Top Secret.